August 2, 2011

new job

I got a job!  Since I moved here during the middle of last school year, I decided to wait until this school year to find a job.  As much fun as sitting around the house trying to stay busy for the last 7 months have been (ok I really actually have stayed pretty busy... thanks to all our great visitors!), I am looking forward to a change in my routine.

I knew I really wanted to work at the school near our new house because I liked the idea of being able to walk/bike to work (especially here where I don't have to worry about cold/snow days).  Plus it's a great way to get some exercise!  Last year I got very sick of the 25 min. drive to the school I worked at, so for me proximity was a high priority.

After checking the Washington School District (only school district down here) website almost daily, I finally saw a posting at that elementary (it's called Bloomington Hills, in case you are curious).  I was super excited!  It was to be a reading specialist and work with all of the low readers.  I applied and just a few days later got a call from the principal.  I had an interview and felt it went really well.  I really got along with the principal (probably b/c we have the same name) and she told me I would definitely be hearing from her.

A few days later the principal called me and mentioned she had a new position open up.  It was to help in the kindergarten.  Since I already had experience in a kindergarten she thought I might be interested in the position (which I was).  We discussed it a little further and she told me I had to turn in another application (kind of ridiculous, but still had to do the district procedure).  Last week I turned in the application and finally today I heard I got the job!  I figured if the principal called me and told me to apply, then I would get the job.  But it was still nice to officially hear an offer from them.

I will be working in both morning kindergarten classes, but will probably focus more on the kindergarten class with the special ed kids.  I will only work about 3 hours each day.  Sounds so perfect to me and is exactly what I wanted!  I will be done by noon every day and even earlier on Fridays.

I know a lot of people wonder why I haven't applied to be a real teacher.  I do have a degree and a valid teaching license, but I have never really had the desire to be a full time elementary teacher.  I actually went into Early Childhood Education thinking one day I would teach my own preschool.  I still do want to do that, but I'm thinking I'll have to wait until our basement is finished before I try to teach preschool out of our home.  For now aid jobs are perfect for me.  I enjoy being in the schools and working with the kids, but I still have free time to pursue other interests.  In fact I'm already thinking of taking photography classes in the fall and possibly even starting a little craft business where I sell crafts at the local outdoor market.

And I'm sure even more people wonder why we don't have kids yet (although a lot of you already know)... believe me, we would LOVE to have kids.  We just haven't been able to yet, but we're working on growing our family and are seeing a doctor to hopefully help us work towards that goal too.  I guess I don't really have to explain myself, but now you know.  So yes, I am having to come up with a Plan B for my life.  I never planned on working much, so it's been interesting trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life.

Lots of changes coming my way!  Can't wait to be in a new house with a new job :).  

6 comments:

  1. You're awesome Michele & we Love you!!!!! Congrats on your job! They're so lucky to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like the perfect job :) And when you have your own preschool, you will have lots of experience to help you out now. Your new house is looking great and I bet you guys are excited to move in this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really excited for you! I wish you could come be my kindergarten aide! Well, tell me if you do anything really cute so that I can copy it. I'm just happy for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new job! How exciting! Too bad we don't live closer so we could do our preschool together. I'm sure Ashley would love to quit Zions to be our bus driver :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you got a job. How fun to be an aid. I seriously would love that. It's crazy how life doesn't always work out the way we want. I am starting my 4th year of teaching, and in my mind I was only ever going to teach 2... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, first of all, I am so happy you are liking your job and it is awesome that it is right next to your house!! It is going to be so perfect for you.

    Also I wanted to say, I think it is so sad that you had to post here why you guys haven't had kids. I hope people don't bother you about it. I know some of my friends get harassed constantly. I just can't believe the nerve of some people poking into personal business like that. Anyways, we know you guys are going to make great parents someday, and props to you for keeping a great attitude. The kindergartener's who get to have you in the meantime are luckily little kids!

    Your house is looking great. We are excited to see it soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete