The reason I started thinking about this is because I was remembering last fall when Dan brought up the idea of moving to St. George. He had been offered a job and was really interested in it. When he first mentioned St. George to me, I was completely against the idea. So I did the only thing I knew to do, I cried. How could I leave my family, friends, job and home? I thought St. George would be a small, ugly desert town with lots of old retired people (i seriously had not visited here in a long time). Luckily Dan was patient with me and we prayed about it. The more we prayed the more I realized it was the right thing for us. Even though it may have been easier to stay in Springville in our comfort zone, the better choice was for us to move to St. George. And so we did. The first month here I still cried. I told Dan I wanted to move back. Now here I am 5 months later thinking about how my attitude has completely changed. I no longer hate it here. In fact, I kind of love it. I am happy in a place I never thought I would be (300+ days of sunshine each year definitely helps). It’s also not an “ugly desert town”. It’s actually quite beautiful and bigger than I expected. We have made friends here and people have been so welcoming. And yes there are a lot of old people, but they are friendly and there are even young people too. I also see my family and friends… a lot. In case you haven’t noticed, I kind of run a hotel in our apartment! It's nice living in a popular vacation destination. I feel like I spend more time with my family now than I did before because they actually stay a few days instead of a few hours. I have also grown closer to my sweet husband because when you don’t know anyone you spend a whole lot more time together!
The more I think about it, the more I realize how perfect St. George is for us. Let me explain… I like Utah. I was raised here and I love it. Dan on the other hand, is fine with UT (which took some convincing), but he does not like the snow and cold weather. He always told me he would live anywhere as long as it was warm. Really St. George is the perfect compromise for us (just took some divine intervention for us to realize it). So here we are in the only warm place in Utah. It’s a reminder to me that the Lord knows both of us, he wants us to be happy and he has a plan for us. The fact that Dan even got a job here is kind of amazing, since good jobs in St. George are rare.
I love testimony strengthening experiences like this when we can look back and see blessings from trusting in the Lord and being obedient. More and more I am realizing that the Lord's plan is not always the plan we have for ourselves, but it is always the best plan. And I'm not saying we don't have agency b/c we do... it's really a joint effort to make our life the best possible :).
Crazy how things work out for the best. I was just thinking about that yesterday, but it's a long story that I'll share with you later. Glad you're happy!
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to this post! I went through all of those same feelings. I'm glad you are happy now.
ReplyDeleteLove ya Michele!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome, Michele! Thanks for sharing! It is always great to have kind reminders that the Lord is very aware, eh? :) You are wonderful & we love you!!!
ReplyDeleteBecky